Today’s water level is 248.67, which is just a couple of inches below the 2017 highest level. We are anxious to see this week’s forecast as we are essentially at the level they told us last week to expect in 4 weeks already. If this forecast anticipates levels above 249′ we will be executing the next portion of the plan next week in a few areas.
We expect a couple of water barriers (aquadams) to be installed along the beach area soon. Otherwise, we are responding to resident requests for more sandbags. I need to remind everyone that the purpose of sandbags is to protect public infrastructure and homes. Our lawns will get wet and suffer damage. We are at the point where many of you have significant groundwater and we are seeing some of it on Greig Street. Please do not pump your water onto the streets. It should be pumped to the bay or directly into a storm drain.
As you all likely know, the Governor declared a state of emergency for the 8 Lake Ontario counties. At this point that only means an expandedNo Wake zone in the lake. It moved from 100’ from shore to 1,000’ from shore. The Village has made a request that another grant program be put in place but at this point, it does not appear likely. Sending that message to the Governor and others may be helpful.
Sandbags for village residents who want more are available in the north municipal parking lot on the north end.
All the pumps are functional and are running 24/7, being fueled daily.
The wastewater system continues to operate as it should. Are flows are nearly 500,000 gallons less per day than in 2017. More camera work is occurring today to find additional sources of infiltration. They have already found a significant leak from a lateral that is being traced. Our plan is to use the remaining NYS money to repair anything found.
If you need a pump to keep your yard or crawl space drier, the Village has negotiated a 10% discount at Plassche Lumber in Sodus. They have many on hand and can get more if needed.
I have been asked about the rip rap and rain garden on Wickham Blvd. As mentioned in an earlier blast, we received a grant of $469,572 to rebuild that area as well as enhance the shoreline protection at the end of Featherly Drive where we have seen significant erosion. Both of those sites are in the design phase which should be completed in the next 4-6 weeks. We are hopeful construction can occur this fall. We also have the grant to build a passive park where the brush pile is today. That project is expected to occur next year.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to reach out.