This has been an interesting month with water levels. Between the 1st of the month and the 26th, the level has dropped 2 tenths (2.4 inches). That’s very unusual for February. The River Board has kept the outflows high, adjusting them several times each week up and down. They have still not crossed the 11,000 cm/s threshold which the plan allows them to do. I expect we will learn that this has been a dryer month than normal as was January. Hopefully, a dry spring will follow.
I’m sure you have heard that shipping will get underway on April 1. While later than the shipping industry would like by 12 days, it is not really a delay in shipping. Over the last 10 years shipping has started the last few days of March or the 1st of April. The net result of water levels will be small.
I expect the work to measure the heights of the existing sandbags will conclude next week. This will provide the information needed to finalize our sandbagging plans for 2020. We also expect delivery of some sandbags next week which we will store until needed. We will continue to work with Wayne County Emergency Management to determine if and when to deploy sandbags. We are watching long term weather forecasts as well as the work of the River Board in an effort to expend no more resources than necessary to ensure we stay dry in 2020. The River Board has stated that their plan is to keep the water on Lake Ontario below 247.7’. Based on past experience that seems unlikely but time will tell.
All four REDI projects submitted the Engineering Reports to NYS on the 14th. They are currently under review by various state agencies. These are the triggers to obtain funding contracts. The reports are available on our web site https://soduspointredi.com and in the village office.
The Stormwater project is in the 50%+ design state and permitting is underway with NYSDOT and NYSDEC. There have been several changes to road alignment and grades to ensure drainage and avoid existing utilities. The pump stations are not yet finalized in design and some of the locations are being re-evaluated. This project is going very well at this point.
The Beach Dune project has identified some pre-work that will occur this spring to begin to gather sand and reduce the need for aquadams. Some 1200 tons of sand are planned for the initial work to bring the entire area to a consistent elevation of approximately 252’. Snow fence will also be placed to both capture sand and define the proposed location of the dune. Permitting for these actions is underway with NYSDEC, USACE, and NYSDOS. These actions were recommended by the Beach Advisory Committee that is working with the designer.
Both Lakestones and White Birch projects are facing budget issues. The designs proposed by OBG, the engineering firm hired by NYS do not meet the DEC guidelines. These designs are what the budgets were built from by OBG. Much more stone is required than specified in those initial plans. Combined with the increase in rock prices, we have work to do on these projects to get them in the budget. NYS is adding the large rock required to their state bid list and we will learn those prices in the next couple of weeks. We are also exploring alternative solutions in both material and design for these areas.
I hope that we can award the bid for the Wickham Blvd and Featherly Drive Revetment projects at our March meeting. The engineers and the lowest bidder met again this week to review actual conditions, possible design changes and sources of rock. We expect this work will help reduce the deficit for this grant-funded project. Permitting has been resolved on both projects.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to reach out.