Village of Sodus Point Village Hall:
Achieving a more functional Village Hall while creating a public waterfront gateway
The benefits to our community in building a new Village Hall at the former Bait Shop site include:
- Efficient building for our community that includes public meeting space
- No budget (tax) impact – No TAX increase!
- ADA compliant
- Public restroom
- Public parking
- Public access to the waterfront, the potential for a future boardwalk
- Public pier with boat slips provide a gateway to the village for boaters
- Additional commercial business site
- Moving the village further toward its vision!
Vision Statement – Spring 2007
Downtown Sodus Point will be a welcoming commercial district and four-season activity hub nestled at the heart of the village waterfront. The pedestrian scale and cohesive appearance of the buildings and landscape will complement the traditional village setting and history while cherishing the beauty of the waterfront location. The mix of restaurants, shops, water-related and other businesses, and recreational activities will contribute to the enjoyment of the waterfront, providing an engaging atmosphere for all visitors while respecting and supporting daily life of village residents.
Why do we need a new Village Hall?
The need for substantial repairs or replacement of the Village hall has been a board discussion for several years. The inefficiencies of the existing building combined with the need for significant maintenance were both part of the discussion. It was clear that an investment would need to be made to both maintain and enhance the existing building. In consideration of the expected investment, alternative solutions to relocate were also considered. In the fall of 2016 the Village began to explore several potential sites around the Village. Some sites explored at that time were:
- Water Plant – Featherly Dr. – A review by an engineer revealed significant structural issues, with a recommendation to pass on the site.
- Mighty Putt – 7922 Lake Road – A review by an engineer revealed both building and site issues, with a recommendation to pass on the site.
- Jefferson Property – 8040 Lake Rd – This is currently under contract to be sold to a private party. It would also require a significant amount of site work prior to any construction.
Once recovered from the flood of 2017, the board decided to take action on the Village hall. Identifying the first step needed was a professional building assessment by an engineering / architectural firm. Bids were received and Edge Architecture was selected based on their prior work experience and estimated cost. Their report can be found here: https://soduspoint.info/village-hall-feasibility-study/